Company: Sims Metal Management
All organisations today have a duty to ensure they are addressing social, economic and environmental issues, whilst minimising the potential impact on their finances. It is vital to ensure that Corporate Social Responsibility makes economic sense.
At Sims Metal Management (SMM) we know about these challenges and as a global leader we use new technology developments to meet and exceed the increasing requirements for higher recycling and recovery rates.
Sims Metal is the world’s leading electronics and metal recycling company. We are global leaders in the secure and sustainable management of metals from industry, trade and the wider community. With an annual turnover exceeding £5 billion and hundreds of sites across the world, our performance and leadership on environmental, social and governance policies has seen us listed as one of the Global Top 100 Most Sustainable Corporations.
We operate from over 200 sites spanning five continents, with over 40 metals recycling sites in the UK. Globally, the business has over 100 years of experience in metals recycling and lead the way in technology development to achieve higher recycling and recovery rates.
The Future Leaders Programme has two paths: Operations or Engineering. In this structured development programme, you will be exposed to all aspects of the electronics recycling business through rotations within operations or engineering – whichever path you choose. Across both paths you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of capital projects, new equipment installation/commissioning, and continuous/process improvement initiatives across our continental Europe operations.
Through these projects/rotations, you will gain exposure to, and knowledge about, the various functional departments within Sims, such as engineering, production, logistics, sales and marketing, safety, business administration and finance. This integrated approach will provide a diverse experience across the work environments at Sims, including significant time working outside with the operational teams and developing experience through proximity to our complex processing equipment.
Training & Progression
Throughout your time on our Future Leaders Programme, you will receive interactive, hands-on training, as well as a series of blended learning modules that will help develop and strengthen your professional knowledge and skills. You will also be paired with a mentor who will provide you with insight, knowledge, support and guidance.
After completing the programme, you will commence a challenging yet rewarding role, where you will continue to grow professionally within the business.
Core Responsibilities & Competencies
- To gain insight into the various operations, processes, techniques and controls in the industry.
- To identify problems and implement corrective actions in accordance with procedure.
- To be responsible for your own development as well as that of the team.
- To install, test and maintain equipment.
- To contribute to our continual improvement process.
- To analyse data.
- To build models.
To be successful in this challenging position you will have:
- A degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical), Economics or Business Management.
- Exceptional organisational skills.
- A high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Motivation, flexibility and adaptability.
- An inquisitive nature and resourceful approach.
- The ability to contribute new ideas.
- A never-ending commitment to delivering results.
- Have a UK Driving License.
Ideally you will also:
- Have completed a placement year/year in industry.
- Be able to demonstrate commercial ability and acumen.
All applications will be processed through Discovery, the retained managing consultants. Due to high volumes of applications, only those successful on application will be contacted for interviews.