Company: Sims Metal Management
All organisations today have a duty to ensure they are addressing social, economic and environmental issues, whilst minimising the potential impact on their finances. It is vital to ensure that Corporate Social Responsibility makes economic sense.
At Sims Metal Management (SMM) we know about these challenges and as a global leader we use new technology developments to meet and exceed the increasing requirements for higher recycling and recovery rates.
Sims Metal is the world’s leading electronics and metal recycling company. We are global leaders in the secure and sustainable management of metals from industry, trade and the wider community. With an annual turnover exceeding £5 billion and hundreds of sites across the world, our performance and leadership on environmental, social and governance policies has seen us listed as one of the Global Top 100 Most Sustainable Corporations.
We operate from over 200 sites spanning five continents, with over 40 metals recycling sites in the UK. Globally, the business has over 100 years of experience in metals recycling and lead the way in technology development to achieve higher recycling and recovery rates.
The Commercial Trainee Programme is a structured, rotational development programme designed to expose you to all commercial trading aspects of the metals recycling industry.
Throughout the rotations, you will gain exposure to, and knowledge about, the various functional departments within SMM that support the commercial operation, such as logistics, export, shipping, purchasing, sales, and planning. This integrated approach across the different work environments at SMM will provide you with a diverse experience.
Training & Progression
Throughout your time on our Commercial Trainee Programme, you will be paired with a mentor who will provide you with insight, knowledge, support and guidance. You will also receive experiential, hands-on training through exposure to internal functions and external suppliers and customers that will help develop and strengthen your commercial knowledge of the metals industry as well as your trading/negotiation skills.
Although the focus of the programme is to support your development as a successful commercial trader within this dynamic industry, there may be opportunities to diversify or specialise within the commercial side of SMM.
After completing the programme, you will commence a challenging yet rewarding role, where you will continue to grow professionally within the business, developing your commercial skills which will allow you to contribute to the success of Sims Metal. There may also be opportunities for international travel to SMM global sites.
Core Responsibilities & Competencies
- To gain insight into the various operations, processes, techniques and controls in the industry.
- To work in a non-ferrous yard alongside the supervisors and managers, developing knowledge of materials and how the sites operate.
- To visit the feeder yards in your region and attend training on how to identify non-ferrous metals.
- To understand the wants and needs of suppliers.
- To spend time in the commercial office learning the systems side of non-ferrous.
- To identify problems and implement corrective actions in accordance with procedure.
- To plan and complete tasks with short-term impact.
- To be responsible for your own development as well as that of the team.
To be successful in this challenging position you will have:
- An interest in developing a career in commercial non-ferrous trading or operations.
- The ability to rapidly develop and maintain constructive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional organisational skills.
- A high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Motivation, flexibility and adaptability.
- An inquisitive nature and resourceful approach.
- The ability to contribute new ideas.
- Excellent customer service skills complimented by your keen eye for detail and never-ending commitment to delivering results.
- A UK Driving License.
Ideally you will also:
- Be educated to A level standard.
- Have a grade C or above in GCSE Maths.
- Be able to demonstrate commercial ability and acumen.
- Be a self-starter and have experience of trading at a profit.
All applications will be processed through Discovery, the retained managing consultants. Due to high volumes of applications, only those successful on application will be contacted for interviews.